.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Patriot-X

Left alone, Americans, for the most part, get along well with one another. When Politics, Religion and other capitalized pronouns become involved, Americans, like anyone, can become foolish, and even dangerous. Here's how the world appears to someone who is not defined by pop-culture, junk-science categories. (Note: I write for adults. Some language may be unsuitable for children.)

Monday, August 30, 2004

'Polaroid' Politics

When challenged to respond to a strongly spun article about one political party having abandoned its core direction, I answered that the article was "polaroid."

Hey! A fun term in the context of politics!

What I meant by "polaroid" was the tendency of one side to call the other side's candidate an "idiot." It is the modern "adult" equivalent of kindy-garten crap: "MY idea is best and I am RIGHT to believe as I do because the OTHER side is SO STUPID! NYAH!"

In the 2004 presidential reality show, neither Bush nor Kerry are "idiots," although it is falsely comforting for one side to believe this of the other side. Too many people don't have the courage of their convictions and require supporting approval, even if only from their invisible friend, Exaggeration.

My preference for Bush over Kerry is not strong, and based on the weak premise that Mr. Bush SEEMS like a nicer guy than does Mr. Kerry, to me. Frankly I don't think either is actually suited to the office, but of the two, if I were required to vote, I would go with Mr. Bush. My reasons for the choice are subtle AND subjective, but I refuse to justify my call by inventing hyperbole demonizing Mr. Kerry. I don't like the guy, or much of what he stands for ... but that doesn't make him an "idiot."

Calling him an idiot would only prove one thing ... that I, myself, am the fool.