.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Patriot-X

Left alone, Americans, for the most part, get along well with one another. When Politics, Religion and other capitalized pronouns become involved, Americans, like anyone, can become foolish, and even dangerous. Here's how the world appears to someone who is not defined by pop-culture, junk-science categories. (Note: I write for adults. Some language may be unsuitable for children.)

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I Was a Teenage Feminism's Raw Deal

The leaders (and media mouthpieces) of movements define the movements. If 99% of feminists feel a certain way and act a certain way (and they DO!) that's fine ... but the movement itself goes the direction of the Front Persons.

Equal treatment and options or choices ... I'm fine with all of that.

What I'm not fine with is the "overkill" where women can demand to be admitted into an all-male private club. The right of free association in the Constitution makes sense to me. I don't WANT to be forced to participate in a Klan march just because "It's all the same. We all gotta approve of everyone else." Bullshit. So some guys, on private property, set up a "No Girlz" clubhouse for whatever reason, but laws come in and say that is "unconstitutional." But if I decide I have a right to use the ladies restroom in a "Wet `N` Wild" water park ... "Eeek! Get out you freak! What the f**k do you think you're DOING in here! Police! Poliiiiiiiiiiiice!" Talk to me about equality.

I do not hate on feminism. I was raised a feminist by liberal parents. I got over Feminism after a while when I saw how the Movement (not the basic concept) went ballistic and launched out of the gravity-well of reality. As a core philosophy based in an even deeper root belief in "human rights," I am a supporter of feminism. As a Movement, Feminism is a bad joke. (Note the capitals used in the preceding sentences.)

And what really disappoints me is how women have made Movement-inspired choices to behave more like men, and less like the ADMIRABLE ladies from before the Movement.

I am not pining away for a time that did not exist. When I grew up in the fifties it was NOT all Ward and June Cleaver Land. And back in the day it was not only the impoverished women who were allowed to work, or required to work. Women of wealthy homes spent time (and money) participating in organizations that sent food and clothing to needy kids, visited veterans' hospitals, etc. The "job" of wealthier women with servants was to be out in the community seeing that things were getting taken care of.

Of course, a lot of rich women could care less and didn't participate. And many would go to meetings about soup lines, and maybe give money, but only for show and just for a moment before they went back to shopping or whatever. I'm aware of the fact that not all husbands were princes and not all mothers were named Theresa. D'uh! But for every spoiled rich bitch there was at least one (and I'm guessing a better ratio than 1:1) who put on the apron and served the soup to "unpleasant" human beings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home